Letter from Marty Lassman, Vocal Jazz Honors Choir Chair
Dear Singers (and Teachers),
Congratulations, again, on your acceptance into the 2010 ACDA Eastern Division Vocal Jazz Honors Choir. I am Marty Lassman and I will be serving as coordinator for the choir. That means that while you’re in Philadelphia, I’ll be the one you’ll see on a daily basis in rehearsal making sure everything is running smoothly “behind the scenes.” This will include assisting your conductor, Vijay Singh, with anything he needs, taking the group out sightseeing in the city, supervising students staying overnight in the hotel, coordinating the final performance at Caplan Center Recital Hall on the University of the Arts campus, and generally ensuring that your choir experience at ACDA is a positive and memorable one.
By this time you should have your music well in hand and memorized.
When rehearsals start, we want to focus on making MUSIC, not drilling
pitches and rhythms. Please know whether you are supposed to sing part 1
or 2 in the divisis; that information is on the website at http://www.acdaeast.org/2010_phila/hc_jazz_list.html .
I’d like to also let you know that there is a Facebook page dedicated to the honors choirs. This will be a good chance for you to connect with your fellow choir members and get to know each other before you arrive.
Also, our schedule is posted at http://www.acdaeast.org/2010_phila/hc_schedule.html
In addition -->
1. REGISTRATION: Our Honor Choir Registration is scheduled from 12:30 pm - 2 pm on Wednesday February 10 in the Franklin Hall Lobby at the Marriott. Singers and sponsors should store your luggage in Room 309-310. This room is at the top of the escalators on the third floor. The luggage room will be open between 12:00pm and 5:00pm, and we'll have an ACDA worker staffed there for security purposes. Please know that this is not a check-in/ check-out situation, it is just a place to put your luggage.
2. RE-AUDITIONS: We will listen to each singer as a part of the registration process. Know your music!
3. MEALS: All breakfasts for students will be served buffet style at the hotel. These were included in the registration price. Students will need to pay for lunches on their own. We will be walking interested singers to neighboring food courts including the famous Reading Terminal Market for lunches. I recommend budgeting about $10 per lunch. Dinners are included in the registration price as well and locations are listed on the schedule. Here is the website for Reading Market: http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/
4. DRESS: The Jazz Honors Choir uniform will be basic black. Guys could wear suits or slacks with shirt and tie; no tuxes please. Gals could wear black dresses (not formal gowns) or slacks w/appropriate blouse/tops. Splashes of color are OK as long as nothing is too over-the-top, fluffy, racy, etc. If you do not have ‘basic black’ or do not have time to get some, please dress up appropriately. Additionally, when selecting shoes, please do not wear uncomfortably high heels. We will be walking to Caplan Center Recital Hall and standing for awhile before we perform. You must select shoes that are comfortable to walk in (through the snow?) and that will be sturdy as you stand on risers. Also make sure you wear or bring a warm winter coat.
5. REHEARSALS AND INFORMAL CONCERTS: All rehearsals at the Marriott will be open for parents, chaperones, teachers and concert attendees to observe. Our final concert at Caplan Center Recital Hall AND the Jazz Jam Session at the University of the Arts at 4pm and 10pm respectively on Friday, February 12 will be open to the public as well.
6. CHECK-OUT: After the Independence Mall tour on Saturday February 13, your Honors Choir Festival will be over and ACDA will no longer be responsible for chaperoning the high school students. Students housed by ACDA will have already checked out of their rooms earlier in the day and stored their luggage at the hotel. Parents and/or sponsors will be responsible for picking up their student, retrieving luggage and continuing with travel plans.
Thank you so much, and please email me at CCSAVocal@verizon.net if you have questions.
ACDA Eastern Division Vocal Jazz Honors Choir Chair
April 11, 2013